A dock leveler is a piece of equipment that bridges the gap between the loading dock and tractor trailer. They facilitate the movement of fork lifts and pallet jacks from the truck to the loading dock. Dock levers are a basic requirement for any functional loading dock. Without one, it is difficult to load and unload semi-trailers of various heights. HOF Equipment Company carries an expansive range of dock leveler types, sizes, and capacities.
Types of Loading Dock Levelers Carried By HOF Equipment Company
Broadly, there are two types of dock levelers- Mechanical and electric.
- Mechanical Dock Levelers: Mechanical dock levelers sit in front of the dock either a pit or are lagged to concrete. When a trailer arrives, a dock worker manually pulls a lever or chain that raises the lip and then sets it down on the truck bed forming a bridge.
- Electric dock levelers: Operate similar to mechanical dock levelers except the operation of extending the bridge is accomplished by electric hydraulic operation.
There are various types of loading dock levelers offered at HoF Equipment Company.
- Edge of Dock Levelers: This type of dock leveler is welded and/or bolted to the edge of the dock. These may also be manual mechanical or electric hydraulic operation. Edge of dock levelers is more compact and less expensive than regular dock levelers.
- Scissor Dock Lifts: These free standing dock lifts are for locations that do not have a loading dock. When unloading a truck, the scissor dock lift is raised to truck bed level and a foldable steel bridge is opened onto the truck bed to bridge the gap between the truck and the lift. Goods are moved from the truck onto the lift and the lift is lowered to the ground level where the goods removed from the lift. An optional approach ramp is available for loading and unloading the dock scissor lift with a hand truck or pallet jack.
- Standard Dock Levelers: These loading dock levelers are either manual or electric hydraulic. They are useful for busy loading docks. Manual units are pull chain operated. In the case of a powered unit, presses the “raise” button, the hydraulic pump activates to raise the deck at a controlled pace. When the button is released by the operator, the deck descends to rest on the trailer. This type of dock leveler is often pit mounted.
Beneficial Features of Loading Dock Levelers Available at HOF Equipment Company
HOF Equipment Company carries Vestil Dock Levelers. As described above, there are many types and sizes. For powered units, motors are available various voltages. Here are some of the common beneficial features of loading dock levelers:
- Load-bearing capacities of dock levelers generally range from about 5,000 to 20,000 pounds.
- All our loading dock levelers are designed with safety in mind. The bridges have high-visibility handrails with fixed toe boards.
- In the case of line breakage, hydraulic cylinders have an emergency velocity fuse.
- There is an emergency stop button on powered units.
- Manual dock levelers have a smooth pull chain operation.
- Levelers come with two laminated bumpers and two telescopic steel toe guards on both sides.
- There are lots of optional features to choose from when shopping for a dock leveler including vinyl weather stripping, curb angles, under deck foram insulation, etc...
HOF Equipment Company carries a variety of loading dock levelers and mounting accessories. Our goal is to make your purchase as easy as possible. HOF’s team of experts would be happy to aid you in selecting of a loading dock leveler. Please call or email us for further information.