Factors You Need to Know About Industrial Ladders
Industrial ladders have many useful applications across a wide variety of industries. There are many types of industrial ladders categorized by their intended usage and other factors. Industrial ladders are generally made of steel or in some cases aluminum. Ladders can be foldable, collapsible, fixed or mounted, or they may serve as an extension or a raised platform for order picking etc. It is important to choose the right type of ladder for your application. There are several factors that should be considered when sourcing industrial ladders. For instance, it is crucial that the ladders fulfill OSHA and ANSI standards and requirements. This post touches upon the different types of industrial ladders in the market and the factors to consider when choosing them.
Types of Industrial Ladders
There are various types of ladders used in industries. Here are some of them:
- Mezzanine Ladders: These ladders are considered very safe to use as they come with a hand railing and are more like a staircase. They are fixed and allowing staff easy access to mezzanines often right from the production floor. Usually made of steel, these ladders are often powder coated and have anti-skid steps. Their height usually ranges from 50" to 120" depending upon the brand and can be customized according to the application height requirement. Some mezzanine ladders attach to the mezzanine landing and can be rolled up flush with the mezzanine wall for space saving storage when not in use. Mezzanine ladders can be installed easily with mounting brackets, which may be either bolted or welded.
- Warehouse and Maintenance Ladders: Maintenance ladders are a cost-effective solution for a warehouse. In addition to warehouses, they find applications in offices, retail stores, and industrial manufacturing locations. These are rolling ladders, and the operator simply needs to roll and tilt them whenever they are needed. They are usually made of steel with a powder coat finish. They have a safety access chain and various step grip types including perforated steps, grip strut, and serrated. Most have a removable hand railing. Most maintenance ladders have steps ranging from 5 to 20. These ladders have a steel tubing support framework.
- Crossover Ladders: Crossover ladders resemble a bridge with staircases at both ends. So, the user can climb up the stairs at one end, walk over the platform and come down from stairs at the other end. These are installed at crossover points where there is no place to walk. They are permanently fixed and anchored to the floor. These are usually made of steel, and come with a powder coated finish. They are sturdy but can be folded or dismantled when shipped or transported. They have a high hand railing.
- Weight Actuated Ladders: These high-quality ladders provide and extra level of safety since they feature a locking mechanism once the user climbs on any step. So, they are also called lockstep ladders. This auto-locking system eliminates the need for the user to remember to lock the ladder. A handy foot pedal, releases the lock. These ladders are made of steel with a standard powder coat They come with a removable access chain and a relatively high hand railing. Their height ranges from 50" to 150".
- Cantilever Ladders: These ladders feature various length cantilever platforms at the top that help staff access high places and items such as light fixtures etc. They have rear and base frames made of steel, and come with industrial quality locking casters to hold the ladder in place while in use. Cantilever ladder feature 14", 28" 35" & 42" cantilever platforms that increase usefulness. They are made of steel and have a powder coated finish. These ladders have perforated steps and a 59 degree slope. Their height ranges from 70" to 150".
Factors to Consider When Choosing an Industrial ladder
Now that we know the types of industrial ladders, it is crucial to choose the right one for your requirements. Here are some pointers you may find helpful:
- Portable or Fixed
- Height requirements
- Safety features such as auto locking
- OSHA or ANSI compliance
- Load bearing capacity
- Standard top step or cantilever platform
If you are looking for an industrial ladder HOF Equipment Company is a top supplier of all types of industrial ladders and material handling equipment. Contact our sales staff now at 888.990.1150 for help in finding a ladder to suit your application.